I soon realised that my vision was improving daily and I felt quite confident to drive after a fortnight, having been assured by Mr. Levy that this was ‘legal’.

This lady had Fuchs and also cataracts. She had combined endothelial cornea transplantation and cataract surgery –

‘When cataracts show up at an annual eye test and surgery may be needed, it is wise to ask to be referred to Mr Simon Levy – at least that’s what I found.

During an eye-test my own optometrist noticed the beginnings of cataracts. He carefully monitored my condition each year until, in 2009, he felt it appropriate to inform my doctor. I spoke to a local friend who had recently had two successful cataract operations, and she recommended Mr. Simon Levy as a kind and efficient surgeon. My GP was happy with her suggestion and referred me to Mr. Levy at Bushey Spire.

At my first appointment with Mr. Levy I was introduced to his very pleasant optometrist, Tony Stanton, who carried out a variety of eye-tests with amazingly high-tech machines. Then Mr. Levy carried out further tests and gently advised me that, although my cataracts were at an early stage, I also had Fuchs’ Dystrophy in each eye which, in two or more years, would need cornea transplants. My. Levy explained that he might combine the cataract/cornea surgery on my left eye, and later on my right eye. I would probably need to have the operation at the Wellington Hospital under a general anaesthetic and to say in overnight and meanwhile he would review me regularly. From the start, I was invited to ask the friend who drove me to Spire to sit in on the consultation when we were always received with courtesy and made to feel at ease. Mr. Levy sent a letter to my GP after each appointment.

The idea that a transplant would come from a human donor tissue was very scary but, by November 2011 when Mr. Levy decided it was the right time to operate, I had become accustomed to the idea and was able to choose March 2012 for the cataract/cornea surgery on my left eye. Mr. Levy carefully explained the procedure and the fact that, just after the operation, my vision would be worse before it became better. I was reassured to read on his web-site that a lady older than my 73 years had had a successful cornea operation. Mr Levy rang me a fortnight before the operation to confirm that I understood and was happy with the plans.

On the afternoon of the operation I checked in, and received excellent care from the Wellington Hospital staff and Mr. Levy, his anaesthetist and his operating team. Afterwards I had to lie flat for several hours and the nursing staff looked after me until I was collected the following morning. Later that day Mr. Levy saw me at Bushey Spire and I was of course relieved when he confirmed that the operation had gone well and that he was pleased with the result. My vision was already better than earlier in the day.

As I had a general anaesthetic, I was advised to take things easy for a few days, which gave me a chance to get more practised at putting the drops in ‘religiously’ as instructed. I can honestly say that, apart from a slight ‘gritty’ feeling in my eye on the first morning, I have not experienced pain. I soon realised that my vision was improving daily and I felt quite confident to drive after a fortnight, having been assured by Mr. Levy that this was ‘legal’. I still have to use the drops, but my several follow-up consultations have been encouraging. My optometrist, who was very impressed with the result of the operation, has prescribed new glasses and the provisional plan is that Mr. Levy will operate on my right eye in March 2012.’